Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vegan Pittsburgh


I've been meaning to blog about my visit to Pittsburgh for two weeks now. Apologies to my three followers that this is so late.

Who knew that Pittsburgh was such a great place for vegan eating! First on my list, the Double Wide Grill. My friend Peggy says its a "bra" place. I'm still not quite sure what bra means, but I think its some Pittsburgh version of bro. All I know is if I passed the Double Wide Grill on the street I would not have stopped because usually a place advertising ribs is not the best bet on finding vegan food. Not so at the Double Wide. The restaurant has an entire vegan/vegetarian menu offering salads, burgers, nachos, tacos etc. But the Seitan "wings" are definitely something to sing about. Crusted in cornmeal, fried to perfection and drenched in barbecue sauce, these "wings" are finger-lick'n-good and no chickens had to die to enjoy them. Yum-O!

Next up the Oh Yeah! Ice Cream and Coffee Co., home to numerous varieties of soy ice cream and vegan, gluten-free waffles. Its great to walk into an ice cream shop an have so many non-dairy choices. They sell Temptation Soy ice cream. I had the mint chocolate chip. I must say, that I still think that Double Rainbow's soy ice cream is the best non-dairy ice cream out there, but considering its so hard to find, Temptation is a close second best.

For a late night snack we stopped into Kelly's Bar & Lounge. Like Doublewide, you would never think this place was vegan friendly, but for a dive bar there is a wide selection. The menu includes deep fried "buffalo" tofu which is very spicy, but quite yummy.

Lastly, we stopped in to Quiet Storm for breakfast the next morning. Quiet Storm is a great place to get vegan comfort food. Their brunch boasts grits, hangover hash, and stuffed French toast! I had the "Athena" bagel delux with hummus, which was great. I'm sure the grits and french toast were scrumptious, but I had a food hangover from all of the ice cream and fried seitan. Quiet Storm also serves lunch and dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment