Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Tale of two biscotti

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....Ok, ok, actually both of these recipes aren't half bad. But I think they both could use a little tweaking.  But more on that later.

Ever since I bought the Sticky Fingers bakery cookbook I've been dealing with a conundrum.  Do I stick with old faithful recipes that have historically, done me well? Or do I try new recipes to see if they are better.  And how will I know that they are better if I'm not doing a head to head taste test?  But doing a head to head taste test is a whole LOT of work.

Well, I bit the bullet and finally did a head to head taste test.

In corner number one, we have the champion. Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero with the chocolate hazelnut biscotti recipe from Veganomicon.  Full disclosure, I had no hazelnuts so I made them chocolate almond biscotti.

In corner number two, we have the challenger. Doron Petersan and the new Sticky Fingers Cookbook.

One big difference between the two recipes, is that Sticky Fingers provides not only cup measurements, but measurements by weight.  I opted to go for accuracy, and broke out the old kitchen scale.  Also, this recipe uses Earth Balance and Ener-G instead of oil and flax seeds.

However, I'm still a little iffy on which method would yield a better cookie because the dough came out very stiff, almost like play dough.



The first bake turned out pretty normally though. And sliced pretty easily.

The second bake was also pretty uneventful.  The consistency, was a little brownie like.  Not as flakey as the biscotti I like.

They were also slightly not sweet enough.  And I wonder if this is because I added too much flour and cocoa powder because I went by the weight measurements.  

The Veganomicon dough was much more of a normal cookie dough consistency.  This made it a little bit more difficult to work with when forming into the first bake, but overall, I think it yielded a tenderer cookie.  








So it a head to head comparison, I have to say that  I think Veganomicon won. But we'll do best two out of three....

No comments:

Post a Comment