Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Thanksgiving test run

 Baby Turkeys Farm Animail Rescue

I love Thanksgiving.  I love the fact that for one day, everyone sits down to a relatively similar meal. I love the flavors of the season. Root vegetables, stuffing, cranberries, parsley, sage rosemary, and thyme.  I also hate Thanksgiving.  I hate the fact that a holiday celebrating gratitude also has a second meeting of celebrating the slaughter of millions of turkeys.  I like Turkeys a lot. And because I like Turkeys, I stating early on taste testing and perfecting my Thanksgiving menu.  I mean the food I will bring to my family's Thanksgiving, that no one except me will eat, but I will enjoy knowing that no Turkeys were harmed in the making of this meal.

In years past I have focused my attention on the side dishes and relied on old faithful -- the tofurkey -- as my main dish.  But this yearI think I'm gonna get a little crazy, and go for a stuffed seitan roast.

I used Isa Chandra Moskowitz's recipe.  I substituted the shitakes for creminis, and the leaks with onions, and the bread crumbs with matzo meal.  But other than that I stayed pretty true to the recipe. :)


The roast came out pretty good. However, I'm going to try it again with a stuffing that contrasts a little more.  The mushrooms and onions blend in pretty well with the roast.  Next time I think I'm going to try a cranberry walnut stuffing.   



1 comment:

  1. That looks, like every other instance of your cooking I've seen, unreasonably tasty.

    ReplyDelete