Search This Blog

Friday, February 4, 2011

Tale of two truffles

On the left you have the champion --  Decadent Chocolate Truffles from The Vegan Table by (my hero) Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.  On the right, the challenger -- Pecan truffles from VegNews adapted by moi.  We'll call them my almost raw truffles because I swapped peanut butter for raw almond butter because raw almond butter is like $10 a jar and PB is a mere $3. 

Why mess with perfection you ask? Well, I've read Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet and taken some of her advice to heart.  I'm trying to kick my coffee habit and decrease my sugar consumption.  The raw truffles are 1 cup of medjool dates, 2 cups of pecans soaked, 1/4 c peanut butter and 1 tsp cinnamon. That's it. You blend it all up in a food processor until it's a mushy clump and then form balls and roll them in coconut flakes.  Let's just say they're not as sweet as Colleen's chocolate cream cheese truffles which involve blending powdered sugar, tofutti cream cheese and melted chocolate, chilling and rolling in cocoa powder.  
Frankly, I think next time I will just eat the dates straight up rather than turning them into truffles.  But for now, I have coffee withdrawals to tend to and truffles to eat!



No comments:

Post a Comment