Search This Blog

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Braised cabbage

I remember the first time I got a head of read cabbage in my vegetable box.  Thinking, what the heck am I going to do with that, I starting googling and came across a great recipe for braised red cabbage that called for butter and brown sugar and vinegar. It was yummy, but the oil and brown sugar, defeated the purpose of having a vegetable in the first place. 

So the next time I made braised cabbage, I just braised it with vinegar and it came out just as good.  This is one of my favorite low-cal, high fiber dishes.  But be ware:  Cabbage has a high sulfur content, so like eggs cheese and beans, it can make you have gas that is particularly smelly.  Sorry, there's really no delicate way to say that.

Step 1:  Halve on head of cabbage and core.  Then slice thinly.

Step 2:  Place cabbage in large pot over medium heat, and add 1/4-1/2 cup vinegar.  Start with a 1/4 cup and add more if it starts to dry out.

Step 3: Let cabbage braise until it reaches desire tenderness. About 30 minutes. Salt liberally.


No comments:

Post a Comment