Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Kind of cult-like, but the food was good

I've been on a little blogging hiatus due to holiday traveling, but I'm back and rearing to go! In fact, I managed to come upon some great restaurants during my travels. 

My husband is from El Centro, a town east of San Diego, and we spend every Christmas with his family.  Unfortunately, we never have enough time to spend quality time in San Diego and El Centro. There are so many great veggie restaurants in San Diego and simply just not enough time to eat at them all.

But-- I did manage to experience one great restaurant, and it is an experience!  Jyoti-Bihanga is a Sri Chinmoy divine enterprise, however you can call it a restaurant for short.  Located on Adams Avenue in the Normal Heights part of San Diego, this restaurant serves eclectic vegetarian and vegan fare. Who is Sri Chinmoy? I'm glad you asked.  According to his website "Sri Chinmoy is a spiritual teacher who dedicated his life in the service of humanity.  In his 43 years in the West, he endeavoured to inspire and serve mankind with his soulful offerings - his prayers and meditations, literary, musical and artistic works."  However, some think he's a sketchy cult-leader.  A new memoir from a former disciple makes one a little suspicious of the sari-donned wait staff who all seem to have a serene, quaalude influenced demeanor.

However, if you don't mind the Hare Krishna vibe and imposing photos of the Guru that adorn the walls, the food was really good.  I had the BBQ Mock Duck sandwich, which despite not really resembling duck at all, was delicious.  Served with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, I was licking my fingers in satisfaction.  Their menu is diverse including curries, "neatloaf," and nachos.  Its not entirely vegan, but the menu has many vegan options.  We topped off our dinner with a vegan chocolate mousse cake and left feeling very enlightened.  I almost wanted to don a sari and become a Chinmoy follower.  Almost!

 



1 comment: