Search This Blog

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Comfort food: Potato Kugel and Tomato Soup

Potatoes are taking over my fridge. It's not my fault. I subscribe to a weekly fruit and vegetable delivery service, and I normally check the website to make sure I don't get too much of one item. If I have a bunch of, lets say, potatoes from the week before that I didn't use I goon the website to make sure I don't get potatoes the next week.

Well I neglected to do that and somehow I've accumulated enough potatoes to feed Ireland. But when life gives you potatoes, and it's chanukah, make potato latkes. Right? Wrong!!!! I just couldn't get up the enthusiasm for another round of fried food. So I went with the next best thing...potato kugel.

I found this recipe online for potato carrot kugel. I'm always hesitant to use a random recipe online because, unlike cookbooks, where the recipes have been tested by the author and editors, you never know who has actually tried recipes from a website. However, I took a leap of faith and it came out pretty good. It was a chanukah miracle!

Since it was thirty degrees outside I decided to make soup to go along with my kugel. I made a curried tomato and rice soup from Fatfree Vegan. It tasted great. The recipe did not call for blending the soup, but I had an idea that it might be better blended then chunky. NEVER AGAIN will I attempt to blend a soup without an immersion blender. After placing the hot soup in the blender and placing the lid on, the blender promptly exploded sending hot soup all over me and my kitchen. I now have a bra that will probably forever smell like curry tomato.

You live, you learn right. Well after I cleaned the tomatoes off of the ceiling of my kitchen my husband and I had the soup and kugel. It was a great dinner on a cold winter's night.

No comments:

Post a Comment