Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

cranberries, how I love thee...


Why is cranberry sauce relegated to a twice-yearly supporting role on the Thanksgiving and Christmas tables? It is yummy, colorful and so easy to make. We had some last night and I can't wait for my Tofurky and cranberry sauce sandwich for lunch.

I know some people have a pathological affinity for the canned jelly stuff. I don't get it and I think intensive psychoanalysis may help. I have always preferred the fresh made whole cranberry variety. This is another recipe that is so easy its almost criminal to blog about. Just follow these easy steps and you'll never want the canned stuff again.

1 8oz package of frozen cranberries,
1/2 cup sugar,
2/3 cup water
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tbsp of cornstarch

Put everything in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer until cranberries burst and sauce thickens (about 10 minutes).

I didn't have any fancy crystal serving bowls to serve it in, and I think cranberry sauce is too pretty to eat straight out of tupperware. So I placed about 1/2 cup in a martini glass and placed it on the table. I think its an adorable play on a cosmopolitan. Maybe next time I'll add a little vodka to the cranberry sauce!


No comments:

Post a Comment