Search This Blog

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Eating my way through L.A. part 1

You are looking at a vegan chocolate souffle. Yes my friends you did not misread-- A. Vegan. Chocolate. Souffle. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Lets start with appetizers and work our way to dessert.

Shortly after landing at LAX I was picked up by my parents and demanded to be taken to Madeleine Bistro. Alright, I didn't demand, I just asked nicely and my parents happily abbliged. Madeleine's is an upscale bistro on Ventura Blvd in Tarzana. Its pricey but the food is so good it will make you cry.

We started out with the beet tartar which is served ontop of a tofu cheese crouton which you would swear was goat cheese. Its creamy and tangy and I could have eaten five of them.

Next onto the entree. Madeleine's menu is small plates which I'm usually not a huge fan of. If you ask for an entree portion of any of the main course items, they will accomodate. I had Gnocchi with sundried tomatoes, kale and "cream" sauce. My mom had lemon seitan with mashed potatoes, gravy and kale. My dad had a burger with onion rings. My brother also had the seitan. Everything was incredible.

But the star of the evening was the chocolate souffle. I am completely baffled about how they make a souffle without eggs. And if you ask, they won't tell you. Its a closely guarded secret. As far as I'm concerned the chef deserves an Nobel Prize for this. It is simply a ramekin of fluffy, chocolate heaven. Its served piping hot with vanilla ice cream. I want one NOW!

So eating in Los Angeles started off on a high note. Everyone else better step up their game, because I'm hungry and I?'m on vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment