Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

When oreo cookies and tofutti cream cheese collide

Something magic happens when you mix crushed Oreo/Newman-o cookies with tofutti cream cheese. I'm convinced that there is some unknown chemical reaction that produces an opiate-like effect. These Oreo cookie truffles require no measuring and are incredible. But fair warning-- they are habit forming.

You will need:
1 package sandwich cookies. Oreos, Newman-O's, Whole Foods brand are all vegan and all fine. I've never tried double stuffed, but I'm sure it can't be bad.
1 container of Tofutti non-dairy cream cheese. Brought up to room temperature so its soft.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Pulse cookies in a food processor until they are a coarse meal. Add the softened tofutti, and the vanilla, and process until it comes together like a dough.

At this point I transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour. The key to making these truffles is to keep the mixture cold.

Once the dough has chilled, scoop onto a foil line cookie sheet. I make each truffle about two teaspoons, give or take. Then, with impeccably clean hands, GENTLY roll the scoops into smooth balls.
The place the formed truffles back in the freezer to chill for another hour.

Once your truffles are nice and cold you are ready to dip. Melt 1 bag of vegan chocolate chips in the microwave. The key to tempering chocolate in the microwave is to do it slowly. Place the chips in the bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and then repeat until all of the chocolate is melted. I don't really worry about getting it to a certain temperature, although I'm sure it comes out better if you do. But its a bit of a hassle and I'm not going for perfection.

Once your chocolate is melted, its time to dip. I work in batches so My truffles can remain in the freezer until the moment before they get dipped. The warmed they get the harder it is to keep them together in the chocolate. Once all of your truffles are dipped and placed on a foil line cookie sheet, place them back in the fridge and chill until the chocolate is hard.

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for my friend Meghan Welsh who introduced me to this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment