Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Yes we can make Biscotti

I once brought Biscotti to a dinner party and someone said to me, "I thought biscotti was something you buy, not something you make." But making biscotti is just like making any other cookie except there is one extra step which is of course the second baking.

I use the recipe for almond-anise biscotti from Veganomicon with a few changes. Instead of arrowroot powder I use cornstarch. I first had the idea to try this because the recipe for chocolate hazlenut biscotti on the next page uses cornstarch. I tried the substitution and it worked very well. I've also made this recipe without the anise and added chocolate chips. It works well with all sorts of variations.

Some people think baking is scary. Its true there is always a moment of cross your fingers hold your breath and hope it turns out ok when you stick raw dough in the oven. But there are a few things I've learned that are really crucial. First, make sure everything is ready to go before you mix the dry ingredients into the whet ingredients. Up until that point you can't really screw things up too much, but as soon as liquid hits the leavening agents all bets are off. Second, make sure your baking soda and baking powder are active. How do you know if there active? Click here.

Back to biscotti...
Biscotti dough is weird. Its cookie dough, but you have to kneed the chips or nuts in. Then you need to shape it into a flat rectangle. Once the rectangle is baked let it cool completely. Seriously! I mean it. If you try to slice them when they're are still warm they will fall apart. Its hard enough to keep them together when they are cool. Once they are cool slice them with a sharp chef's knife. You really have to go for it when slicing the biscotti. If you hesitate you will have a crumbly mess. Biscotti can smell fear, so use one good slice and show the biscotti who's boss. The lay the cookies back on the cookie sheets and bake again. You probably should turn the biscotti half way through so they get evenly browned on both sides. But if you won't tell, I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment